Saturday, March 19, 2011

Panic, Fire, a Nun, and Tomato Soup

Where is Grammy? Panic rushes through me like horses being released at the Kentucky Derby. I looke all around me but there is no Grammy to be found. How could she leave me like this? What a horrible Grammy! Didn’t she remember that I was only 10 years old? I squeeze between the overgrowing crowds as I hunted for my one and only Grammy. The crowds start to suddenly move in the opposite direction. The people start to run away from the carnival and yells filled the night sky. I try my best to go with the flow but I am not up for the race. My feet are sore, my heart is pounding, and my pony tail is sliding out. In all the chaos, I catch a glimpse of Grammy. I try to travel towards her but am unable to get over to her. I exit the carnival and the smell of smoke fills my nose. Fire!
I run to an empty spot on a bench located outside the carnival. I sit my butt down next to a woman wearing black and white. Her face is mostly covered by a scarf, and she wares a necklace with a cross around her neck. She looks nice. As I sit down, she asks me my name. Of course I tell her my name. Lucille Peel, Lucy for short. All of a sudden, she knells down on the asphalt and puts her hands together; she starts to pray. She closes her eyes as she mouths words in the direction of the carnival. The smoke continues to cover the dark, night sky.
Grammy runs over to our bench with a huge smile on her face. I have never seen Grammy so happy and to be honest I have never seen Grammy move that fast! Grammy grabs me and kisses my cheek. Grammy turns to the woman kneeling and introduces herself. The woman says that she is a nun named Agnes. Oh, I never knew what a real life nun looked like. Awesome! Grammy thanks Agnes for taking great care of me. Agnes tells Grammy it is no problem. Grammy invites Agnes home for dinner. Agnes agrees. Once at home, we gather around the table. Grammy exits the kitchen and arrives at the table holding a pot of warm basil tomato soup and a tray of garlic bread. What a great ending to a crazy day. I have my Grammy sitting beside me and a nun sitting across from me. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment