Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Follow Your Nose

Howdy Diary!
Right as I stepped off the school bus, the smell of a freshly baked pecan pie entered my nose. What a wonderful smell! Our town never smelled like anything other than ancient sewage. What a great surprise; if you lived in my village, than you would understand my surprise by the sweet aroma. I could not wait to go home and tell grammy about the smell.
As I entered our condo, I found grammy sitting on the couch pressing the remote. I stopped to check my watch. The clock read 3:53. Just 7 minutes until Dr. Phil (my grammy’s favorite show) started. I guess she won’t be watching that today, I thought. See, I told you she is soooooooooo old. Who likes fat Dr. Phony Phil? “Hey, grammy. I have a question.” “Yes. What is it Lucy Goosey?” Wow. She hadn’t called me that in ages. I forgot how much I missed grammy’s nicknames. Lately, she had just been calling me Lucy in casual conversation or Lucille when she was really mad at me. “Have you been outside grammy? What is that amazing smell?” “Sweetie, I don’t know what you are talking about. Let me go out to the balcony to check.” Grammy walked to the balcony; I followed her. Grammy was amazed by the smell as well. We saw the whole town lining up outside of the diner. “Grammy, can we please go?”
Later, once grammy had placed the meatloaf in the oven, we joined the rest of Watershed Heights in hopes of getting a bite of the pie. Takuda Hiroshi stood in front of us in line. Takuda lived on our floor. He was an odd man who, if you asked me, didn’t need any pie. He had already eaten enough pie in his lifetime. Of course while waiting in line, grammy felt the need to talk to Takuda. We grabbed our pie slices to go. We needed to get home to check on the meatloaf baking away in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment