Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Night of Reflection

Hello Diary,
I could smell the summer air as Grammy and I left Watershed Heights. I couldn’t wait for the summer to be upon us. Jill and I were headed to Bible Camp, Grammy and I were leaving home for a road trip to Vegas, and I had a summer job walking the neighborhood dog, Lucky. All was good. Things had changed. Grammy said I had exited my egocentric phase. Whatever that means? But maybe Watershed Heights had changed me for better. I guess only time would tell…
We left the condo and walked across the street to the Asian restaurant…again! We ate here at 3 times a week. After school, I came home to find Grammy balled up on the couch sobbing. Grammy’s BFF from Bingo Club had passed away. She said she needed to go eat some meatloaf in order to cope and forget about Betsy. I had never seen her act in such a down way; it was like no Grammy I had ever seen. But things were changing…as I matured, Grammy seemed to only grow wrinkly, cranky, and fat.
In the booth, we sat in silence. I stared at our neighbor. He looked lonely and awkward. No wonder he had no friends. I heard him talked to the waiter in German. Awesome! Maybe over the summer I could ask him to teach me some German then he wouldn’t have to be so sad and alone. After paying for the dinner, he ran out of the café in a hurry. Odd. I wondered where he was headed in such a quick manner. I wondered what his story was…

No comments:

Post a Comment