Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Hunt For Chives

Yo diary,

So summer is 3 days away; I can taste freedom on my tongue. It has been a loooooooooong year! I cannot wait til 5th grade; Ms. Tacoshell is giving me a headache. Next year means new teacher, new school, and new town. Grammy and I are moving away from Watershed Heights next month; she says she can’t handle the town. She says it’s not a safe place for me to grow-up in; she thinks it’s too dangerous, which is probably true. We had three people die in our town just yesterday alone. What?! Grammy just doesn’t get it! We have at least one person killed in town each day. Grammy doesn’t want us to be the next victims (I can totally understand that! I don’t want to die either! I have too much to live for!) But I am gonna miss this place. It’s been good to me, and I like to think that I have been good to it. It’s changed me. Made me stronger, made me happier, and made me less annoying ( I hope!).
For dinner tonight, grammy is switching it up (for once)! She is preparing steak, baked potatoes, and peas. She calls me into the kitchen to ask me to run an errand; she is in need of chives for the potatoes. What the “HE double hockey sticks LL” are chives?! She tells me to venture up to the roof top garden and places a huge herb encyclopedia in my arms. She points to the picture on page three hundred and fifty-four. Grammy tells me to go look for the herb in the garden that looks like that one. I head to the garden to retrieve the herb. Once on the roof top, I see Blanket Cobb. Blanket is our neighbor in the apartment complex. He looks hungry, tired, and odd. He seems to be munching on weeds from one of the garden plots and buzzing like a bee. Weird! I leave him beeeee (haha!) and hold out the herb book in search of chives. I find the herb and pinch off a few shoots. I got it! Grammy will be so proud of me!
As I turn to leave, I once again remember Blanket Cobb. I can’t leave quite yet. My heart is sad. I say Blanket, would you like to come over for dinner tonight? My grammy is fixing steak, potatoes and peas. Blanket doesn’t respond; he is in his own little world. I guess the garden is his place to get away from it all and have silence and a snack. Sometimes we all need a change of pace, a time to get away, a chance be alone, and a moment to stop and smell the gardenias…

<3,
Lucy P.

No comments:

Post a Comment